Glaucoma is a group of serious eye conditions that cause damage to the optic nerve, impairing your vision. The damage is typically caused by an increase in eye pressure. At Yaryan Eye Care Center, serving Connersville, Brookville, and Rushville, IN, our eye doctor diagnoses glaucoma and can provide treatment options.
Types of Glaucoma
There are two main types of glaucoma, and the symptoms and treatment options differ. They include:
- Open-angle glaucoma: This is the most common type of glaucoma, and often shows no early symptoms. It occurs when the fluid in your eye drains slowly, causing an increase in eye pressure.
- Angle-closure glaucoma: This type is less common, and it occurs when the fluid in your eyes doesn't drain at all, resulting in a rapid spike in eye pressure. This rapid spike causes severe symptoms.
Glaucoma Risk Factors
Although anyone can get glaucoma, certain factors will increase the risk of developing the disease, including:
- Being over 60 years old
- Family history of glaucoma
- Having medical conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
- Being extremely nearsighted or farsighted
- Being Asian, Hispanic, or African-American
- Previous eye injury or eye surgery
- Long-term use of corticosteroid eye drops
Open-angle glaucoma shows no early symptoms. As the condition progresses, peripheral vision loss can occur. Over time and without treatment, tunnel vision can occur.
Due to the rapid spike in eye pressure, angle-closure glaucoma causes severe symptoms immediately. These include:
- Severe headaches
- Severe eye pain
- Redness of the eye
- Blurry vision
- Seeing halos and bursts around lights
- Nausea and vomiting
Although there is no cure for glaucoma, there are treatment options to slow the progression of the disease. These include:
- Eye drops to reduce eye pressure, protecting the optic nerve
- Laser trabeculoplasty is a laser surgery performed to open the clogged channels in the eye.
- Filtering surgery is a surgical procedure where a small incision is created in the white of your eye to remove part of the drainage area.
- Drainage tubes can be implanted to drain the excess fluid from your eyes.
When you visit our optometrist, we will perform an eye exam with several tests to determine if you have glaucoma. The treatment our eye doctor suggests depends on the severity of the condition. Our eye doctor will guide you on any treatment options. It is important to get follow-up eye exams to monitor your condition.
Visit Our Optometrist in Rushville, IN for Glaucoma Testing
It is vital to get routine eye exams so glaucoma can be detected early. The sooner you begin treatment, the better your chances are of preserving your vision. If you are already experiencing symptoms of glaucoma, visit us at Yaryan Eye Care Center, serving Connersville, Brookville, and Rushville, IN. Our optometrist will answer any questions you have about the condition. Call us today to schedule an appointment.